A fresh take on Farmhouse style is right on trend in the home, thanks to popular interior designers like HGTV star Joanna Gaines. And according to Houzz editor and writer Mitchell Parker (who was recently interviewed by the Washington Post), “The modern Farmhouse style will continue to flourish in 2018 and spread to the bathroom.” We couldn’t agree more! If you love the look, we’ll show you how to infuse your bathroom with fresh farmhouse style.
Dull and Dated
It doesn’t matter if you own a brand new home or an actual farmhouse with 100 years of history. If your current bathroom needs a style update, a farmhouse makeover can be the charming yet contemporary update your home needs.
New construction often leaves homeowners with dull spaces waiting for personalized touches. This has its advantages. A newly built home is the perfect blank canvas for creating a bathroom with modern Farmhouse style and character.
Historic homes, while already rich in character, tend to show their age. This also has its advantages. When completing a bathroom remodel, you can stay true the age of your home without sacrificing style by opting for a contemporary take on the classic Farmhouse look.
Here are a few key elements of modern Farmhouse style:
- Paint: When giving your bathroom a Farmhouse makeover, stick with a soothing, neutral color palette. Soft greens, blues, pale gray, and creamy beige hues all lend themselves to the modern Farmhouse look.
- Pattern: Country toile saw resurgence in the early 2000s, but it’s a bit stuffy for the modern take on Farmhouse décor. With that said, wallpaper is back as one of the top trends for 2018. When working with pattern in your Farmhouse bathroom remodel, opt for small touches of plaid, Buffalo check, or gingham.
- Paneling: In the past, beadboard was the go-to wall treatment for country flair. Made popular in 19th century cottages, this classic paneling style was ideal for informal spaces like the bathroom. Today’s modern Farmhouse style takes it up a notch, with shiplap and board and batten wainscoting replacing traditional beadboard paneling.
- Tile: If you like to watch Joanna Gaines work her magic on HGTV’s Fixer Upper, you may have noticed she is fond of subway tile. This classic look often gets a modern update with variations in size and color. For the modern farmhouse look, opt for light, neutral shades of Cristezza Club Glass Tile, such as white, light taupe, gray, or baby blue.
- Cabinetry: When choosing cabinetry for your Farmhouse bathroom remodel, you could opt for traditional raised panel details or clean Shaker design. White cabinetry is ideal for the modern farmhouse look, but gray, black, or off-white shades work equally well, especially when paired with an antiqued glaze.
Welcome to Willow Lane Cabinetry — the #1 place to buy affordable, semi-custom cabinets online! Let us help you create the kitchen, home office, bar room, laundry room, TV room, or bath of your dreams with our 100% free room design tool. We offer all wood, semi-custom cabinets, fully assembled and delivered for free. Plus all the accessories you need to complete your remodel. Visit our website to see our products today!