Whether your home office is used for running a business full-time or telecommuting just a few days each month, you want your space to perfectly blend style, comfort, and utility. Designing a practical workspace in your home is not that difficult a task, but to be successful, you have to do it right. Here, we’ll show you how to design the ideal home office, complete with storage solutions, and comfort in mind.
A home office should be more than just a desk and a chair.
Since you will be likely be spending a good amount of time sitting at that desk, you will also need storage solutions to help you stay organized and on task. Home office cabinetry keeps office supplies neatly hidden behind closed doors, yet easily accessible. Other features to consider include lighting, décor, and a quiet location in the home.
For your walls, choose inspiring colors that stimulate creativity and improve focus.
According to Taskworld, an online project management platform, happy hues like blue, green, yellow and red are perfect for use in the office.
- Red increases your heart rate and is great for tasks that involve physical activity.
- Yellow is an optimistic color that inspires creativity.
- Green is easy on the eyes and is good for people who work long hours.
- Blue is stable and calming, yet improves focus.
Invest in a good chair.
Like we mentioned earlier, you will be spending many hours parked in your office chair — so make sure you pick a good one! A comfortable, ergonomically correct chair is worth every penny, since this will impact your health and your productivity more than anything else in your home office.
According to Lifehacker, these are the features to look for when purchasing an office chair:
- Adjustability: A reclining chair helps to reduce pressure on the spine and bones involved in sitting.
- Chair Height: Feet should be flat on the floor, thighs should be parallel to the ground, and arms should be parallel to the work surface.
- Arm Rests: These offer proper support and arm placement when typing.
- Seat Depth: Ideally, there should be three or four fingers-width distance between the back of your knees and the front of the seat while seated.
- Lumbar Support: This helps to ward of fatigue and back pain while working.
For more help designing the ideal home office, visit Willow Lane Cabinetry and take advantage of our free room design service. Within 48 hours, you’ll get a custom layout that is both functional and stylish, photorealistic renderings to see how your home office will look in your space, and an itemized list of what you will need and what it will cost.
Welcome to Willow Lane Cabinetry — the #1 place to buy affordable, semi-custom cabinets online! Let us help you create the kitchen, home office, bar room, laundry room, TV room, or bath of your dreams with our 100% free room design tool. We offer all wood, semi-custom cabinets, fully assembled and delivered for free. Plus all the accessories you need to complete your remodel. Visit our website to see our products today!