Regardless of age or square footage, your home should be your sanctuary and your own personal dream come true. How you decorate says a lot about who you are. Here are two important factors that will help make your house a home, and your absolute favorite place to be.
Step 1: Consider How Color Affects Your Mood
Color is deeply personal, and we all have a favorite. However, Psychologists (and Interior Decorators) have long believed color can affect our mood, and this is something to keep in mind when choosing paint for your walls.
- Red: Reds stimulate the mind and body, and increase circulation. You often find red in the kitchen or dining room, because of its power to stimulate the appetite. Red also works well in a living room, encouraging lively conversation. It creates a strong impression when used as an accent wall, especially in an entryway, but because it has been shown to speed up respiration and raise blood pressure, it may be too bold a choice for a bedroom.
- Orange: Orange is energizing. It stimulates productivity and evokes excitement, and is therefore perfect for a home office, playroom, or workout space.
- Yellow: Yellow triggers the nervous system. Because of this, yellow can make some people anxious and quick to lose their temper, although in general, it is considered a happy color and ideal for a four-season sunroom. Yellow also makes a sunny addition to kitchens, and can make an entryway feel more welcoming.
- Blue: Shades of blue are considered soothing, serene and timeless. Blue is perfect for a bedroom, living room, or any place people go to relax and unwind. While bright blues works well in an elegant dining room, pale blues can turn a basic bathroom into a spa-like retreat.
- Green: Green hues are cool and refreshing, and suited for almost any room in the house. Because they are fairly neutral, use them in place of beige when you want a bit of color without going too bold. Dark greens convey masculinity, while pale greens bring the calming effects of nature indoors.
- Purple: Purple is rich and dynamic. Dark purples can be a luxurious choice for a bedroom or living room, while pale purples can add a touch of whimsy and creativity to a kitchen or bathroom.
As a general rule, light colors are airy and expansive, and make a room feel larger, while darker colors can be sophisticated, and make a room feel warm and cozy. If you prefer tones of white, beige, or paler colors on your walls, consider using a pop of bold color in throw pillows, rugs and/or accessories here and there throughout the home.
Step 2: Keep In Mind That Comfort Is Key
Your dream home should be comfortable, seeing that you will be spending a majority of your time there. Of course you also want your home to reflect who you are, and with that said, it should also accommodate your lifestyle. If you love to cook, a beautiful kitchen with quality appliances might be the priority. If you have young children, a designated play area may be in order. Or if you entertain often, an open concept floor plan would fit the bill. Make a list of must-haves if you are in the market for a new home, before you begin a renovation project, or even if you are just updating your décor.
Decorating in one day, with items purchased all at one store, can make a room look too matchy-matchy and impersonal. Trends come and go, so surround yourself with things you love, collected over time, that reflect your own personal decorating style and have special meaning to you. Creating a dream home takes time and should not be rushed. Again, you want to be comfortable and feel at home in your surroundings.
When it comes to furniture, chose pieces that are both functional and stylish. Consider the scale of the furniture in relationship to the space, and whether or not it accommodates your lifestyle. For example, it would be wise to choose leather or washable slipcovers if you have children or pets, or a kitchen island with a bar top if you host a lot of get-togethers. Again, don’t rush things. Hang on to what you have until you find something you love that fits within your budget.
Most people would rather live in an empty space than one that is filled with clutter. Pay attention to organizational solutions, and get rid of anything you don’t like, use or need. A tidy home can make all the difference.
There’s no place like home!
Welcome to Willow Lane Cabinetry — the #1 place to buy affordable, semi-custom cabinets online! Let us help you create the kitchen of your dreams with our 100% free kitchen design service. We offer all wood, semi-custom kitchen cabinets, fully assembled and delivered for free, with standard features like soft closing doors and drawers, and 6-way adjustable steel hinges. We give you more and save you money! Visit our website to see our beautiful products today!
Written by Tiffany. Tiffany honed her skills as a writer and editor working in the fast-paced newspaper, magazine, and television industries. Tiffany is also an award winning graphic designer, with extensive experience in the worlds of mass media, publishing, and advertising. As a designer, she also has a strong eye for interior decorating and color. Tiffany has a BA in Communications and a minor in Fine Art. She is a natural cook just like her mother, and rarely uses a recipe. She also enjoys reading, photography, painting—and most of all, spending time with her husband (a skilled DIY’er) and two sons.