Color surrounds us and has the power to transform the feel of your living space with the stroke of a brush or swipe of a roller. If you are building a new house or are looking to give an existing interior a fresh start, you may be wondering what hues are most suited for your unique home. Like sorting through the options in kitchen cabinet finishes, it can be difficult to make a decision for your walls and decor. If your kitchen island countertop is covered in paper paint swatches and you are completely unsure of how to choose, here are some tips to help you find the perfect color palette for your home.
Looking Towards Trends
The new year is still months away, but the color experts at Sherwin Williams are already predicting what the top paint colors for 2021 will be, with a focus on warm neutrals, earthy hues, jewel tones, and contemporary colors that are right on point. To see how these and other paint colors will look in your home without having to buy numerous paint samples, visit the Sherwin Williams website and try their ColorSnap Visualizer. This online tool lets you upload a photo of your home’s interior and virtually paint your walls. If you received a photorealistic rendering through our Free Room Design service when shopping for custom cabinets, you know how helpful it can be to actually see what your space will look like before you begin making changes.
A Neutral Color Palette
If you prefer a neutral palette, start with your favorite shade of white, beige, or gray for the walls that complements your cabinetry, flooring and furnishings. For a trendy tone-on-tone look, layer textures to add visual interest, such as natural fiber area rugs, organic woven fabrics, chunky knit throws, brushed metallic elements, and bamboo Roman shades. Go a step or two up or down the color swatch for an accent wall, and add a well-placed pop of color through a statement furniture piece or throw pillows and other accessories. Like white custom cabinets in the kitchen, a classic, neutral palette is always in style. It is ideal for homeowners who like a light and soothing look and enjoy swapping out accent colors and decor with the seasons.
Working With A Favorite Hue
When working with colors, limit yourself to three to create a cohesive look. Start with your favorite hue, dark blue for example, and build your palette around your choice. Pair your color with a neutral tone. Then, add a complementary color on the color wheel for contrast. Here are a few rules to consider when working with color:
- Cool colors, like green, purple, and the aforementioned dark blue, can be considered neutral and help to create a calming vibe in an entryway, bedroom, bathroom, dining room, or TV room.
- Red, orange, and yellow have a warmer color temperature, and tend to create a more energetic space most suited for a kitchen or home office.
- Dark colors on walls can be cozy when used judiciously, while lighter colors create a spacious, airy environment throughout the entire home.
- Bold, hot hues are best reserved as an accent color in your palette, while softer colors with gray or cream undertones are ideal for walls.
- When in doubt, research how color affects your mood to make sure your palette is liveable for you and your family long-term.
Welcome to Willow Lane Cabinetry — the #1 place to buy affordable, semi-custom cabinets online! Let us help you create the kitchen, home office, home bar, laundry room, TV room or bath of your dreams with our 100% free room design tool. We offer all wood cabinetry, fully assembled and delivered for free, plus all the accessories needed to complete your remodel. Visit our website to see our products today!